For several weeks prior to the start of the new school year, I pondered what the “Back To School” gift would be. After a great deal of research, I saw the CUTEST idea on “It’s Written On the Wall” blog. These little kits were just TOO cute! I really wanted to do the same thing, but I had to make 120 of them and there was NO way I could find 120 boxes for less than $250. Since that is pretty much the bulk of my budget, it wasn’t going to happen.
I finally got the idea to use clear favor pillow boxes instead.
These adorable little boxes come in a variety of sizes (I went with the 5-1/2 in. x 3-1/2 in. x 3/4 in.) and are reasonably priced. I found these on Amazon.com (50 pieces for $9.25). I have also seen them on a few wholesale gift packaging sites if you need even more. Since I only needed 120, I found it was easier to just buy a few of the smaller lots.
Now for fillings:
I decided I really wanted to include the hand sanitizer, which is usually really expensive, so I hunted around until I found the small .05 oz bottles. I was able to find these at Sam’s Wholesale for a bit more than I wanted to, but cheaper than anywhere else I could find.
Next I found band aids, antibiotic ointment packets, tylenol packets, paperclips, erasers, and starburst candies online through various sources. I just found the cheapest ones I could buy in bulk and used every coupon imaginable to save my budget. I knew this was going to be a large gift, but I also knew I really needed to make sure I was spending wisely.
I decided to go with the same label design as I saw on the original website… it really didn’t take me any time to do since it was all squares and rectangles. (If anyone would like a copy of my labels, please just let me know!)
Assembling (Sorry about the dark photos – I worked on these pretty late into the evening):
Once I had all my items together, I had to decide how I wanted them to look inside the box…
I found the best way to do this was to arrange all the items on top of my label and slide them into the pillow box like so… all I had to do then was reach inside the box to make small adjustment and slip in the remaining items.
I should mention that after a while of reaching inside those plastic boxes, the rough uneven edges did eventually rub my hands bloody raw…blood, sweat, and tears baby! Regardless, I was really pleased with the end result!
Here are my completed kits:
I also added red elastic ties as well as a cute little circle label to dress them up and note that they were a gift from the PTA. I made 120 kits total… most of them were for the teachers, but I also made special kits with different labels for the staff and bus drivers. Everyone really seemed to love them!